Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, January 2, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

The Wizard of Rondo by Emily Rodda, a book review

As with The Key to Rondo, I had a difficult time making myself finish The Wizard of Rondo by Emily Rodda. There are good scenes in it. There are slightly funny scenes. There are a couple good action scenes… but mostly it was difficult for me to enjoy. This is not really because of the book, I think, but because I prefer relationship driven stories. This book, and thus far the trilogy, is action driven.

My two eldest daughters really enjoy the story. They are twelve and 9, almost 10 years old. They like the fantasy of it. They like the adventure of it. Neither of them have the preference for another sort of story that I do, apparently.

As far as the content of the story, I can recommend it for children of well-read 9 years or 10 years and older. There are a few new characters in Rondo, who are based on nursery rhymes. Some of them potentially funny. Most of the characters, though, are pretty flat. I think this is a sort of result of being part of an adventure tale.

Have you read The Wizard of Rondo by Emily Rodda? What do you think of it?

No comments: