Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, January 23, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, a book review

I wanted to read Catcher in the Rye book as I've heard about it most of my life. Given the places I've heard about it, I would categorize it as a classic, even though it's really not that old, all things considered. However, I didn't read far before I realized that Salinger is of the mind that it's necessary to include a great number of curse words in the text.

Curse words are crude, foul, and cause actual and literal damage. Both to the speaker/user and to those who hear/read such words. As a result, I did not read this novel.

Because many reference it, I will probably read a Wikipedia about it.

Do authors who use curse words so readily in their writing also curse so frequently in real life? I wonder because it seems to me that those who are so drawn to and entrenched in work with words would steer clear of such language because it is weak. It, like sarcasm, reveals a weakness. I know there is some other way they could show that weakness that such language use by their character(s) in some other way if they were truly great in their craft. A sort of showing, rather than telling, that I guess many authors aren't up to because they want the easy way out that curse words provide.

Well, that's lame.

I did not like the little bit of Catcher in the Rye that I read. I would not recommend it to or for anyone who cares about purity of mind and freedom from the wounds that such foul language inflicts.

If you've read it and would like to share what you thought about it, feel free to do so. Just leave curse words out of your description. If you don't, I will be obliged to remove your comment. tyia!

No comments: