Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, March 20, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen, a book review

While Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen fits easily in women's fiction, I think almost any adult would enjoy it. Those who enjoy and are familiar with Poe's works would probably enjoy it even more than a more general adult audience. I enjoyed the novel.

As an English major, I was already familiar with Poe, but didn't find him as fascinating as many folks I've known found him. For me, Lynn Cullen brought him to life through Mrs. Osborne's eyes and experiences in such a way as to make him far more interesting to me than he ever was on his own!

The notes at the end of the book are extremely interesting as well. In my experience of the novel, those note add relevance and 'meat' to the fictional story preceding them. Perhaps especially the notes about what pre and post dated the events reported within the novel.

I enjoyed the novel and the experience of Poe coming to life for me in a way that none of my university studies and classroom discussions about him and his work ever made him. I appreciate the treatment of the one love scene presented.

My girls will have to wait until they are in their late teens to read Mrs. Poe. This is a novel intended for adults and deals with subjects appropriate to such. I strive to present adult material to my children carefully. The material that would not be appropriate for my youngsters pertains to sex/sexuality, abortion, and faithfulness (or lack thereof).

Have you read Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen? What did you think of it?

No comments: