Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, May 8, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Ungifted by Gordon Korman, a book review

Ungifted by Gordon Korman is an enjoyable story about a boy who is mistakenly transferred to the gifted and talented academy instead of suffering the consequences of an accident resulting from a bad choice. I enjoyed this book quite well at least partially because it was completely free of any intimate scenes and curse words. Even though I found this book in the teens' area of my library, I will let my two eldest daughters read it if they so desire.

One thing I particularly enjoy about this novel is the change the main character goes through as a result of his transfer. I also appreciate very much how one of the teachers considers all the things he could say to his students about the main character, which, in effect, teach the young reader about the character traits lacking in the main character. This is definitely a bonus and a huge plus in my mind because I think many youth are not being taught character quality traits like integrity, honesty, and so forth.

The story telling shifts between characters, which I thought was interesting, though confusing when I wasn't paying close attention. Each and every chapter title begins with a word that starts with 'un'. I found that slightly distracting because of it's negative connotation, especially when the overall message of the book (to my way of thinking) is a very positive one. Still, I really liked it and do recommend it highly for all ages.

Have you read Ungifted by Gordon Korman? What did you think of it?

No comments: