Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, May 29, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Every Day by David Levithan, a book review

Every Day by David Levithan is an interesting story with an interesting premise. I started it one day and read it here and there and then finished it in the early morning by reading through the night. So, it definitely kept my attention. I'm pretty sure it's more the attention one feels compelled to pay to a horrific car accident than because it is inherently a good novel.

A being moves from body to body, life to life, never two days in one body and life. Eventually, around sixteen years into this existence, the being falls in love. This novel is how the being falls in love and the aftermath. Like I said, interesting.

This book is potentially a very bad idea for many and even perhaps most youth… if youth is for others what it was for me. And since I'm pretty sure I'm relatively normal, I think this book should be more appropriately in the adult section. However, I'm equally pretty certain that the author, on some level or another, intends that the youth who read this book be made less sure of their own existence especially as pertaining to gender and sexuality.

Additionally, most strict (those who actually believe the Bible to be the word of God) and fundamental Christians would find this story seriously upsetting because of the author's treatment of homosexuality and even more: gender identity.

I will not allow my children to read this book as long as they are willing to respect my wishes. I hope they will avoid it until well into their twenties or later. This is definitely not a book someone who is gender confused should read! I do not recommend this book to any teen or young adult.

So, even with all that, there are some positives. For instance, the character A has very good character quality traits. I appreciate how this being desires to do right and well and help those whose lives s/he visits for a day. I also appreciate the choice s/he makes in the end.

I can't help but wonder if this being (and those like him/her) are of alien origin. Will there be a continuation of the story to reveal this? Will we know more about where A ends up and what s/he does? The end was not very satisfying to me primarily because the question of what these beings are is left unanswered.

Have you read Every Day by David Levithan? What did you think about it?

No comments: