Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

observations: flawed or flawless

I once overheard a woman say that she 'had it out' with another woman.  She commented that she hoped the other woman felt good in her perfection.  "As for me, I'm imperfect.  I'm happy with my flaws."  This is a sort of conundrum, isn't it?  I mean, if you're happy with your flaws, then they can't really BE flaws.... right?

So I've been thinking a bit about this.  If someone says such a thing... is it really conveying a spiritual laziness?  They don't want to do the work necessary to make those weaknesses (flaws) into strengths (points of perfection in a flawed human).  I think that's definitely a possibility!

Perhaps in other situations, the character trait or other issue that someone else identifies as a 'flaw' isn't really one.  I've definitely experienced that.  It sure can grow to feel like one when people point at it over enough years... like the way people have said I'm too trusting.  Well... since we live in a fallen world in which folks really enjoy intrigue, this trait that folks point to all too often really can be troublesome... and painful.  But that doesn't make TRUSTING a bad thing... it just makes me unusual in a fallen world in which most people learn NOT to trust much sooner than me.  And still I struggle with being too trusting!

Yet in other situations, perhaps the flaw is really just a momentary problem that someone is able to see simply because of bad timing... sorta like driving West at just the wrong time of day when you absolutely cannot get the glare of bright sunlight behind anything... no visor low enough... no way to sit up straight enough to manage it.

Do you think we should work on making our flaws into strengths?


No comments: