Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Friday, December 2, 2016

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Who's Got Game? The Lion or the Mouse? by Toni and Slade Morrison, a book review

Both this and the other book by the same three with the same beginning name which I reviewed HERE are obviously illustrated by the same artist. The covers are very similar. It's fun that the horizon scene on the cover of Who's Got Game? The Lion or the Mouse? Is more of a African plains sort of scene. It prepares the reader for a different environment in this book. The title page and other small sketches until the first page carry on the preparatory differences.

The illustrations, by Pascal Lemaitre, of this story definitely accomplish the task of supporting and amplifying the words of the story. The words and illustrations work well together.  This, like it's similar story mentioned before, is also in comic style.

This story has the same rhyme problem as the other, though not as drastic an issue this time. Perhaps that's because I read it after the other, so my expectations for the rhyme were considerably diminished based on my memory of the first. I did feel a bit annoyed that it seemed at times like the authors were going for rhyme, but didn't keep it steady and flowing.

Again, I kept reading because I wanted to see what the title meant. What point are they shooting for? Will they finish as well as the other?

Though they do end with a question, I think this story does not leave the audience as much room to choose for themselves. This could be a good thing, given the subject, of course.

As for me, I like the message of the story.

Have you read it? What did you think?

No comments: