Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

my thoughts: on the difference between knowing and learning

Knowing is having the facts.  Being aware of truth.  Acknowledging steps necessary to accomplish something.

Learning is applying facts, truth, and steps.

Knowing is cerebral.  Learning is practical.

The former is easy.  The latter, much more difficult.  Application is far more invasive and consuming than holding information in one's synapses.

The two are worlds apart.  Yet some would use them interchangeably.  No!  We must know before we can fully learn, it's true.  But just because we know something, doesn't mean we've actually learned it!

I'm a great example of this!  I can tell folks how to do any number of things I haven't yet mastered application of.  This is, perhaps, a YUCK of being a teacher personality.  Seeing clearly HOW to do something comes far more easily than making myself consistently DO it. 

Thus... I'm a fluffy girl who knows TONS about the process of weight loss!  And that's just one example of a chasm between knowing and learning in me.  I've got lots more, unfortunately.

How about you?  Can you think of any instances of something you know, but haven't fully learned yet?

No comments: