Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

writing life: writing as a mom, part 2

I promised to share a little of what it looks like when I sit down to write. There are good days, bad days, and middle sort of days. Aren't these the truth for any and everything? I think it must be so. I digress.

A good day writing:
I accomplish the basics quickly and sit down to write before one or two in the afternoon. I've already helped my baby take his main nap for the day, so he goes with the children to play. They play relatively quietly and continuously for between one and three hours. The times that they do come in and talk to me happen after I've been able to write for thirty to forty-five minutes. (Rarely do they spend forty-five minutes playing quietly, but more than ten minutes is really quite necessary for me to accomplish writing that I'm pleased with. Also, although I could write for less than an hour, I have been extremely displeased with the results. When I'm able to write for longer then two hours, the result is so much better than anything less!

A bad day writing:
I wake up later than I meant to. Baby GrA is teething or otherwise fussy and wants to be with me all the time. I sit down to write later than two in the afternoon and the children come speak to me about various things. The worst writing times are when I don't have even ten minutes all together to write and/or think.

One of the toughest things about the actual writing is not knowing whether I'll be able to write continuously or not. My fatigue level definitely impacts my reactions. And since my baby still nurses quite frequently through the night… well, I have been struggling to have a positive attitude.


Regardless of all that, I have to say that the most oft' repeated advice to write every day is sometimes unattainable, but totally appropriate. Even if the writing time goes poorly or I start late for whatever reason, it's a better day when I'm able to sit and write. Why? Because although secondary to my calling as Mama, writing is another of my callings. I believe very strongly that Father urges me to write and wants me to get the stories out that I've been working on. I'm not always sure why… but I sure do want to be obedient! So, I write.

No comments: