Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, April 3, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov, a book review

Written well after the trilogy and at least one sequel, Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov is a prequel. I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the others given my experience with this one.

I will not share this book with my daughters as yet. I thought I might when I first started reading it. But before too long I changed my mind. Some of the subjects discussed and dealt with are not things I prefer my children face until they are more mature.

There are no overtly sexual scenes, though Dors feminine parts are mentioned a few times. And it's pretty obvious that Seldon is interested in her even though he hasn't pursued any relationships since the one in which he was hurt.

I figured out one part of the revelation that takes place at the end, but not two others. I do try to let the author reveal the story, rather than trying to figure things out. The part I knew before the revelation seemed pretty obvious, so I wasn't surprised at all. The other two work perfectly, so I wasn't uncomfortably shocked, but I definitely hadn't figured them out, either.

This story follow Seldon as he attempts to figure out psychohistory while striving to avoid capture and imperial captivity. He is accompanied by Dors who is his protector, though he seems pretty capable of protecting himself. Together they meet some interesting characters, among them a gutter snipe of a boy named Raych.

I like it because Asimov reveals the truth of the Mandelbrot set with each change in Seldon's environment. He paints a picture of a world in the distant future. And it's believable. Especially because it seems that pride plays such a huge part in each area's accomplishments, which is pretty true of human nature. I like the interactions of the characters. I enjoyed the action scenes. They were descriptive without being gory. I also enjoy the revelations in the end.

I'm glad my friend, Robert, suggested I read this series in answer to a question I asked on my Facebook page (my author page HERE if you'd like to check it out). I enjoyed it. It would have likely taken me a LOT longer to get started into reading Asimov's amazing and prodigious contribution to science fiction literature. Thank you, Robert!

Have you read Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov? What did you think of it?

No comments: