Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Friday, February 24, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Three Little Cajun Pigs by Mike Artell, a book review

Did you know I was born in Louisiana? Yeppers. My Mom and Dad grew up there. My Dad fancies himself a Cajun even though he probably isn't as far as it goes. Still, we tend to really love the stories that have a Cajun flare. Three Little Cajun Pigs by Mike Artell definitely fills the bill.

Mardi Gras is February 28, 2017 (this coming Tuesday) so I share this book now in honor of the biggest party that happens in the US outside of Christmas and New Year's.

It's a fun and funny spin on the classic tale of the 'Three Little Pigs'. In the bayou, of course, the antagonist must needs be a gator instead of a wolf. As a result, the story has some differences which are entertaining.

Reading out loud may be a challenge, but fun when you get a little practice, because the story carries a flavor of the Louisiana “cajun” sound. My five year old boy enjoyed it particularly.

My children and I really enjoyed this book and definitely recommend it. The illustrations by Jim Harris are fun and perfectly fit the story. The gator is especially well done and entertaining throughout. The art is nicely colorful without being overwhelming, so my three year old likes it a lot.

Have you read Three Little Cajun Pigs by Mike Artell? What did you think?


No comments: