Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, June 11, 2018

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Alis by Naomi Rich, a book review

Alis by Naomi Rich is an interesting book. I'm definitely not giving permission to any of my children to read this book until they are significantly older. I do and have spoken with them about most, if not all of, the situations presented in this book, but reading about it from a character's perspective is a significantly heavier thing than having a very removed conversation with one's mother about the same.

Alis is told she must marry a man who could easily be her father, by age. She is horrified by this direction and seeks a way to escape this outcome. This story is the result of her choices. It is really interesting and quite a good story. I do like it and do recommend it to readers who are either much older teens or very mature. I consider my eldest daughter mature… even very mature, yet I will have her wait to read a book like this. Just as so you know.

One reason for my decision is the presentation of an near rape scene. Also, the idea of running away as a resolution to problems is tremendously problematic to me as a Mama of 4 daughters. I would rather not encourage such thinking!

I found the resolution of the story interesting and satisfying.

Have you read Alis by Naomi Rich? What did you think of it?

No comments: