Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, March 5, 2018

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

The Navigator by Clive Cussler and Paul Kemprecos, a book review

The Navigator by Clive Cussler and Paul Kemprecos was among the books in a trove my husband was given. We love books around here, so we were all excited to go through the score. My second daughter found The Navigator and wanted to read it. There are some adult books I will let my children read, but not most of them. So, I told her I would check it out and let her know.

She will not be reading it until she is much older. There are enough adult scenes and situations to give this Mama pause. However, it is a good story and the adult scenes are tastefully done. Therefore, I can recommend it to those who enjoy adventure.

I think this may be my first step into adult adventure reading. It took a long time for me to get into this book. I felt like it would be much more interesting to most guys and any gals who enjoy stories that involve good descriptions of boats, cars, guns, and a few fight scenes. They were good as far as that goes, for the most part, I just tend to choose other genres before adventure.

This book is one in a series (though not necessarily a read 1 to whatever number sort of series) that involves Kurt Austin and a few other characters that work together regularly to figure stuff out and have adventures together. In this particular episode of their adventures, Kurt saves a woman in distress (a couple times), figures out a mystery, and ends up relaxing where we found him at his boat house.

Part of what I disliked about this book is how very polarized the characters are. The good guys are good at everything and all knowledgeable, while the bad guys are hellhounds, basically. Not terribly real-to life. Another thing I dislikes is how very unreal to most lives Kurt Austin's experience is. I'm sure lots of people read and loved the book because of who the main author is, but I wonder if they would read it if a lesser-known author's name was on the cover in Cussler's place.

Have you read The Navigator by Clive Cussler and Paul Kemprecos? What did you think of it?

No comments: