Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Friday, September 16, 2016

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Nightmares, a book review

Nightmares, by Jason Segal and Kirsten Miller, is a pretty good book.

Before I share about the book specifically, I have to tell you about my experience of reading it.  I'm telling the absolute honest-to-goodness truth with absolutely no exaggeration, so... there's that.

So, I started reading Nightmares.  I was able to make myself put it down when I felt tired.  So, under normal circumstances I might not have resumed reading it right away.  However, that night, I had a nightmare.  I don't remember really anything about it as far as the dream itself goes.  I only remember waking in the dream and realizing I was dreaming and that it wasn't real, it was only a nightmare.  Then, instead of the thing ending, I felt like I was rerunning horrible parts over and over in my mind.

I literally had to stop myself and decide another subject on which to focus.  Even so, the nightmare kept trying to continue to play.  I had to almost completely wake up to get out of the loop.

Also, my two eldest girls had already either just started or finished it started to have bad dreams right around the time they started to read it.  Strangely, my husband and oldest son, who didn't start reading it, had some pretty bad dreams as well.  The bad dreams spread...  and if you've read the story, you know!

Call it a coinkydink if you want.  I won't.  I believe there are no coincidences.

So, Nightmares...is geared toward tweens and possibly young teens.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed it quite well.  The beginning was pretty scary to me.  Yes, I'm a woosey when it comes to scary stuff.

This story, as with my very favorite reads, points the reader to some strong and even profound truth... or maybe more than one.

Check it out and let me know what you think!  If you've already read it, without giving the story away, what did you think of it?

No comments: