Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, November 20, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien, a book review

The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien was a really terrific close to The Lord of the Rings. I particularly like that this book (which appears in three bound volumes) in truth is one book rather than three. One way I could see that clearly is that there is not much, if any, reminding you of the previous occurrences throughout the course of the current volume.

In this volume, Aragorn comes into his own. It was interesting to me that he was so reticent to enter the city after a major battle, but when he actually enters, it makes a great deal more sense to me. I guess it relates more to guys and “territory” that maybe I just don't care all that much about? Regardless, I like the way his part in the story ends up.

I wasn't quite as happy with Frodo's end. I guess I feel like he took the lame way out, in a way.

Sam, Merry, and Pippin ended up pretty okay. I love how Sam's story is tied up.

I dislike that we know so little of what happens with Gimli and Legolas after the fellowship's dissolution. I would have liked to know a little more about how they part, I guess. And whether or not they have friend-get-togethers periodically.

My two eldest daughters (13 and 10) have thoroughly enjoyed this book and series. They may have enjoyed it even more than me. I could be wrong about that, I suppose, but by their effusive complimentary and adoring remarks, I think they loved it.

One difficulty I have with the whole story is how very limited a part women play in the whole of it. I guess, since it's basically about war, that makes sense since the author is male. But I don't have to like it, even though I understand that most men don't/can't/won't make room for women in such stories.

All said, though, I did enjoy the book in three volumes. Now, I'm curious to see the more modern live-action movies by the same names. Not sure when I'll make time for that… we'll see.

Have you read The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkein? What did you think of it? How did you like the ending for each of the main characters?

Okay, so maybe my book reviews have been pretty lame. And I'm not suggesting that this one was really much better, but I have begun to think that I want to beef them up a bit. So… maybe soon they'll be a bit better. Not promising anything, ya hear? I am, afterall, a writer second to mother… and with six children to look after and “manage,” well, I end up in basic survival mode more often than I like to admit.

No comments: