Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, October 9, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien, a book review

Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien is a really good final book in the Birthmarked series. I enjoyed it and felt like it definitely continued to deliver more of the engaging and enjoyable story about Gaia and Leon. What's more, this trilogy is a worthwhile read. There are challenging topics mentioned and faced, mostly related to birth since Gaia is a midwife. Abortion is the most controversial subject handled and that was, more in the second book, Prized, than this one.

As a result of those subjects relating to birth, as well as due to the action sequences, and other mature topics, I won't let my twelve and ten year old daughters read this trilogy until they are sixteen or older. However, this story will provide a great backdrop for many conversations once they do read it.

One of the indications of a really good book is that it seeps into my dreams. My mind can't seem to let go of it even while I sleep and so the story comes alive in my dreams. This did not happen while I was reading the Birthmarked series. However, another indication of a well-written, enjoyable, and engaging story is that I feel unable to disconnect from it when I've finished the last book in the trilogy or series, as the case may be. Even though I moved into another book that was a continuation of a series I already know I enjoy, I couldn't stop thinking about this series. Since I missed reading the first before the second and third, I'm looking forward to reading it just because I want to learn more about the incidences alluded to in the second and third installments of the trilogy. Gaia Stone and Leon Vlatir definitely got my attention while I read about them… and maintained it even when I was done.

Obviously, I enjoyed this book and recommend it for mature teens and adults.


Have you read Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien? What did you think of it?

No comments: