Newsletter for All Pen Names

Subscribe

* indicates required

Monday, December 25, 2017

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle, a book review

An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle is another great story to finish the series started in A Wrinkle in Time. This is the fifth and final book in the series.

I'm not entirely sure what the title means as it pertains to the story. I have my own ideas, of course, but the Bishop in the story said the phrase and I didn't really understand his meaning.

This is another great story about time travel. I like the way L'Engle handles time, again, though I'm not entirely sure if the main characters return only moments after they've left or much later. That isn't clarified in the ending of the story.

In this story, Meg's daughter travels back in time with another couple people from her own time. One of whom is seriously unwell in body and mind. I think, in large part, the story is really about him and that, though not stated overtly, he is much like Charles Wallace in A Wind in the Door. It's really interesting that the twins, Charles Wallace, and Meg are all absent in form, though not in spirit.

My eldest daughter has yet to read this one, but I'm sure she will love it because her reactions to the previous five have been in line with my own and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I (and probably we) highly recommend this book to all readers.


Have you read An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle? What did you think of it?

No comments: