Friday, July 1, 2016

cope='itemscope' itemtype='http://schema.org/BlogPosting'

taking flight CONTINUES

If you missed the first part of this story, please click HERE to read it before you read this.  I'm not including a summary herein and this part of the story may not make sense if you don't read the first part.

Moja.  Do not anger.  Hasira hasara, you know: anger brings damage.  I did not say what you have heard.”
Then what did you say?”
I answered your questions and explained how Hofuya overcame her fear and difficulty and learned to fly.”
But it seems like you’re telling me I should do what she did.”
Not at all, little one.  Not at all.  I merely hoped that you might come to inspiration that would instruct you to do whatever you need to do to fly.”
SO!  You think I need to jump from Kiwango Chajuu… or be pushed.”
No.  Moja, please listen to me.  I know that we all must find our own njia, our own path, our own way.  And the way we each learn is different from those around us.  Hofuya was the only mwanafunzi I’ve ever had who has asked for a push from Kiwango Chajuu.  I had been teaching for more than twenty years when she asked.  I hope she is the only one, ever.”
You think I’m the only one who knows what it is I need to do to learn how to fly.”
Well, yes, almost the only one.  I believe Mungu Upendo also knows.  You must appeal to Him directly.  I believe He will also show you some of your path, your njia, as you learn how to fly from Him.”
If I need to learn from Mungu pendo and you cannot help me understand what He would tell me, what are you here for?”
To have this conversation.  Kidogo, I did not say I could not help you understand.  Simply that you must appeal to Him directly.  You resist my direction.  So this is what you must do.”
Moja bowed her head a moment.  Looked up, nodded to her teacher.  They bowed to each other and depart from one another in a slow fade.
Six months later, on her 14th birthday, Moja calls out to her teacher in her mind, “Bwana Mwalimu.”
Yes Moja.  I am here,” he says as he crystallized, sitting next to her in the garden.
I’m sorry it’s been so long, but I’ve been doing what you said I should.”
What is that, Moja?”
I’ve been practicing and learning.  I’ve been watching others fly… especially how they begin to fly.  I’ve learned a lot, I think.”
That is very good.”
I’ve also appealed to Mungu Upendo.”
That is wonderful.  What did He say?”
He said, ‘Just do it.’’”
Hiding a smirk in clearing his throat, “What do you think of that?” Bwana said.
I think it is accurate, but unhelpful.  Isn’t that what I was doing?”
No, Moja.  You were only trying before.”
And trying is only excuse making.  And excuses are well-planned lies.”
Yes, Kidogo.  You remember well.”
I still think you want to push me from Kiwango Chajuu.”
Oh.  Do you really?”
Yes.”
Is that the purpose of your call?”
No.  Not really.  I’m not going to ask you to push me, even if you want to.  I am asking you to come with me.”
I will be happy to accompany you anywhere, Moja.”
Even to Kiwango Chajuu?”
Bwana delays a response as he struggles to remain composed.  “Yes.  Even there.”
You won’t push me, though.  You have to promise not to push me.”
Looking more relaxed and maybe relieved, “I will promise to do what you ask me to do.”
Good.”
When will we go, Moja?”
Now.”
Shall I take you?”
Yes.”
Bwana Mwalimu stood, Moja stood.  He stepped to her and she extended her hand into his.
Please say our destination, my teacher, just before we depart.  I have a difficult time with the tunnels.”
As you wish, little one.  Bwana Mwalimu held her hand in his strong, firm, yet soft grasp, smiled, and said, “Kiwango Chajuu.”
Standing together on Kiwango Chajuu was almost more than Moja could take.  The tunnel was easier than those she formed herself, so that wasn’t the problem.  Before her, she saw the rising expanse of Kiwango Chajuu, so she knew the drop point was behind her.  She just knew she was standing at the edge and felt certain that Bwana Mwalimu would push her.  She scrunched her eyes closed and waited for what felt like forever.
Slowly she opened one eye and then the other.  “You haven’t pushed me?”
No.  Of course not.  As I speak, so I do.”
But… I thought you would.”
Why?”
Because you told me how Hofuya finally learned to fly.”
Sighing, “Yes, I did.  I told you much else as well.”
So, you’re really not going to push me?”
I don’t know, Moja.  Am I going to push you?”
Aren’t you?”
I made a promise.”
You did.”
What would you have me do, Moja?”
ummm… I guess… I guess I just want you to be here.  I guess I just need to tell you a few things since I know this won’t work.”
Okay.  Tell me anything you desire to tell me.”
Well… I want you to tell my parents and brother that I love them.  I want you to know that I appreciate all the time and effort you have dedicated to my education.  Please forgive me for making it a waste.  I really hope you’ll tell everyone in the village that I’m sorry I wasn’t a flyer.  I’m sorry I had to learn that my Njia did not include flight for sure by dying.”
As Moja speaks, light is gathering around her shoulder blades so quickly and forcefully that Bwana Mwalimu can see it streaking toward her.  He can see the tiny sun shining behind her and watches as her wings take shape.  He knows what she cannot understand.
I will keep your words, Moja.”
You will keep my words.  What in the world does that mean?”
I cherish your appreciation of me and the rest… well, I know your parents and brother know you love them.  I will tell them, also, if you’d like.”
Yes.  I just told you what I want you to say to everyone.”
It will be just as you desire.”
Okay.  So, just stay right there.”  Moja looks at her teacher, turns to look at the edge of Kiwango Chajuu and says to Bwana Mwalimu over her shoulder, “Actually, I need you to take two steps back.”
Bwana Mwalimu takes two large steps backward.


WANT MORE?

click HERE if you want to review the meanings of the Swahili names and words used herein
Post a Comment